Thursday, November 10, 2011

Virgilio's Pizzeria: Restaurant Review of Gluten Free Pizza


Virgilio's Pizzeria is located at C470 & Kipling in Littleton, Colorado, and has apparently been "Voted Best Pizza In Denver Since 2005." Among other items, the restaurant serves gluten free pizza. You can see the menu online, but basically you can build your own pizza by selecting a variety of toppings including the usual suspects: pepperoni, ham, mushrooms, olives, sausage, peppers. For those so inclined, you can even order a vegan-friendly vegetable cheese.

Gluten free crusts are available in 10 1/2 inches, and start at $10.99. (Although, my end bill pre-tax was 10.74 so who knows how that worked out.) Mozarella cheese comes already included, and I simply ordered pepperoni to top the pizza off. Adventurous, I know.

But, the pizza was absolutely delicious. The crust was thin and crispy, but not too crispy as to make chewing difficult. The sauce, cheese and pepperoni were also lovely, as well as the ambiance of the pizzeria in its entirety. I was originally planning on getting a single slice, but found out the embarrassing way that I had missed the several entries on the menu stating that was unfortunately not allowed for the specialty of gluten free. Hence, I got a cool carryout pizza box to take home. Hours later, my gluten-free eating family tasted the pizza and concurred as to its goodness. The next day I finished off the pizza, broiling the leftover slices for a few minutes to reheat the crust and to return the cheese to its most delicious state. I also tasted the pizza cold and both options were very palatable.

To me, the price was reasonable and the food was tasty so I'm looking forward to going back sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment